Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Right to information: You have the right to receive information about the name and qualification of your treating doctor, your state of health, possible complications and its prevention, treatment plan, change in treatment plan, use of medications, diet and nutrition, approximate cost of treatment, cost implications in case of change in treatment plan, and how to address any concern that you may have.
Right to consent: You have the right to give or withhold your consent for any proposed treatment. You have the right to seek second medical opinion before giving the consent. You have the right to refuse consent for treatment under clinical research/clinical trial. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any stage, in writing, if you are part of any clinical research/trial.
Right to Choose/Participate: You have the right to know all your treatment options and to participate in decisions related to your treatment. You have the right to change the treating doctor or hospital if desired.
Right to Privacy: You have the right to receive reasonable privacy during consultation, examination, treatment and various investigative procedures. You have the right to have your healthcare information protected. Information concerning ones health and treatment may only be disclosed with your consent, except when required in terms of any law or an order of the court.
Right to Respect: You have the right to receive appropriate treatment regardless of race, culture, religion, age, gender or physical ability and not to be subjected to any kind of discriminatory abuse, or neglect.
Right to Quality Care: You have the right to receive medical care in accordance with reasonably expected professional standards of care.
- A patient and her/ his attendants have the responsibility to address any concern that you may have.
- Provide complete and accurate information including full name, address and other information.
- Provide complete and accurate history and information about your health, including present condition, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications or any other matter that pertains to your health.
- Follow the prescribed treatment plan, carefully follow all the instructions given and attend follow up an appointment as requested.
- Ask questions when you do not understand any detail given by a doctor or other members of the healthcare team. Inform the doctor if you anticipate any problem in the prescribed treatment or are considering alternative therapies.
- Accept responsibility for the decisions you make regarding your treatment.
- Abide by all hospital rules and regulations.
- Strictly follow the NO SMOKING policy within the hospital campus
- Ensure that all your visitors follow the visitor timings and policy
- Be considerate of noise levels, privacy and safety of other patients and staff.
- Weapons are prohibited within the premises
- Treat hospital staff, other patients, and visitors with courtesy and respect
- Be on time for appointments. Cancel or reschedule appointments as far in advance as possible when required
- Do not take any medications on your own without the knowledge of your doctor and health care professionals. Inform the doctor if your condition worsens or does not improve as planned. Do not to give medication prescribed for you to others.
- Provide complete and accurate information for insurance claims; work with the hospital for processing claims and make payments, if the claim is denied.
- Pay for services billed for in a timely manner as per the hospital rules and seek clarification if you have any concern.
- Be aware that the estimations given are approximate and are likely to change if the treatment plan, duration of treatment/stay or category of bed changes.
- Respect situations when the medical condition of another patient may become more urgent, respect the doctor’s ability to judge and accept the fact that the Doctor may need to attend him/her first.
- Understand the charter of rights and seek clarification, if any. In case you require any clarification or have suggestions to make or have a grievance or want to register a complaint, please contact the Customer Care Cell or dial 1234 from any extension in the hospital and follow the instructions or email to firstname.lastname@example.org