Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center
Cancer is a family of more than 400 different types of diseases, each with its own symptoms, mortality and rate of growth. Cancer can occur at any age, though they become more common with advancing age. A common feature of all cancers is the uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. Viruses, unhealthy dietary habits, smoking, tobacco consumption, alcoholism, obesity, hormonal factors, exposure to smoke and harmful chemicals are proven factors that cause cancer.
Cancer is one of the treatable chronic diseases. It is treated with Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Surgery, Radiation and other therapies. Most form of cancers can be cured and the survival rate will be high if detected early and treated appropriately. Cured patients have the same life expectancy as people who never had cancer.
A comprehensive centre is one which can provide all types of diagnostic facilities and multi-disciplinary approach in the management of various forms of cancers at all stages. It also provides services such as prevention, screening and diagnosis at one centre. It is fully equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and has support from various allied specialities.
Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center is a centre of excellence for cancer care since20 years and adopts a multidisciplinary team approach. It hosts full-fledged department of Surgical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology and ClinicalHaematology, all co-existing with the entire gamut of super-specialities such as neurosurgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Urology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Histopathology, Nuclear Medicine, Immunology, Transfusion service and state-of-intensive Care Unit. In addition, this centre also offers Palliative Care and preventive oncology services. In short, the Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center is a one-stop solution, which provides comprehensive cancer care.
Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center offers the following:
Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center is recognized as one of the pioneering Center for Radio-Guided Surgery in the country. The Center has highly specialized and qualified team of Oncosurgeons who believe in optimum tumour control with maximum preservation of tissues and its function, thereby boosting the confidence and improving the quality of life.
Multi-disciplinary Tumor Board Meetings are held regularly wherein difficult cases are discussed among all the Oncologists and other related Specialists to arrive at the best possible treatment options for the patient. As a part of this approach, we offer:
- Voice Preservation Surgery
- Breast Conservation and Reconstruction
- Limb Conservation
- Complex Reconstructive Surgeries and Microvascular Flap Reconstruction
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SLNB)
- ROLL for Non-palpable Breast Lesions
- Skull Base Surgeries
This approach and philosophy have improved the quality of life following successful cancer treatment. Sub-specialities available are:
- Thoracic Oncology
- Urological Oncology
- Gynaecological Oncology
- Breast Oncology
- Head and Neck
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Multi-disciplinary Tumor Board
- Affiliations with University of Minnesota physicians for Bone Marrow Transplant
- Palliative care (includes cancer pain relief, nutritional support et al in advanced cancers)
- Preventive care (includes various screening procedures for early detection of cancer as well as organizing lectures & interactive sessions to educate
- public on cancer prevention)
- Robot-Assisted Surgery – The most advanced feature in all surgeries that minimizes risk, improve precision, prevent blood loss, tremendously reduce pain and substantially reduces the duration of stay in the hospital. It eliminates the postsurgical scars.
- Radio-guided Surgery – The Center has successfully performed Sentinel lymph node Biopsies (SLNB) for various kinds of tumours like Carcinoma Breast, CarcinomaPenis, Head & Neck cancers and Carcinoma Cervix. In addition, the Center has also performed Minimally Invasive Radio-Guided Surgery for ParathyroidAdenomas successfully.
- Vascular Access For long-term vascular access in patients needing
- Chemotherapy, Bone Marrow Transplant or Nutritional Support (TPN), Chemo port/Hickmann Catheters are inserted.
- Intraperitoneal (IP) Chemotherapy port
Robotics Assisted Surgeries offered are:
- Robotic Surgery for Gynaecological Cancer (Uterus Cancer)
- Robotic GI-Cancer Surgeries (Colon, Rectum)
- Robotic Oesophageal Cancer Surgeries (VATS)
- Scarless Robotic Thyroidectomy
- TORS (TransOral Robotic Surgeries) for Oral, Pharynx, Larynx Cancers
- Robotic Surgery for Lung and Mediastinum and Chest Tumors (VATS)
- Robotic Urology Cancer Surgeries
The team of trained Robotic Surgeons have performed over 100 complex
The medical oncology team provides treatment with chemotherapy, biological
therapy, immunotherapy and hormonal therapy for various cancers. These not only have a very important role to play in curing early-stage cancers but also are important in advanced cancers for improving the duration of survival with a good quality of life.
Systemic therapy in the form of Cytotoxic (anti-cancer drugs) forms an important sub-division of the cancer treatment. In the recent years, Chemotherapy has made spectacular progress by developing newer drugs and protocols that have enhanced anti-tumour activity while remaining patient friendly. It has also enabled cure to many childhood solid tumours, testicular and ovarian cancers, breast cancer, colon cancer and hitherto, fatal bone tumours. Chemotherapy is the only modality used to cure haematologic malignancies such as Leukemia, Lymphomas.
In the recent years, there are many new targeted therapies that have improved results in the treatment of cancers. These new medicines are called Biological Therapies that act predominantly on cancer cells and have minimal side effects. They have significantly improved cure and survival inpatients of lymphomas, breast cancer, colon and rectal cancers and head and neck tumours.
Manipal Hospital is one of the few centres in India that provides Clinical Haematology services. Clinical Haematology unit at Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center deals with blood disorders. Haematological diseases include Anaemia, Bone Marrow Failure, Clotting and Bleeding Disorders like Thrombocytopenia including ITP, Haemophiliaother coagulation disorders and Arterial and Venous Thrombosis. It also deals with malignant diseases (blood cancers) like Leukemia, Lymphoma and Multiple Myeloma. The Department also runs a Comprehensive Thalassemia Care in association with other specialities.
Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant
Bone Marrow Transplant at Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center facilitates
autologous and allogenic Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT). Application of Bone Marrow Transplant is in a wide variety of diseases, which include malignant diseases like Leukemia (both acute and chronic), Multiple Myeloma, myelodysplastic syndrome, Lymphomas, Neuroblastoma and other solid tumors as well as in nonmalignant diseases like Thalassemia, Aplastic Anaemia, Immunodeficiencies,Inborn errors of metabolism and Autoimmune disorders.
The transplant team includes experienced Medical Oncologists and Clinical Haematologists. The hospital has a tie-up with the University of Minnesota Physicians for the BMT program, which helps in maintaining the highest standards of clinical practice. BMT program has been active since 2004 with high success rate. There are dedicated HEPA-filtered rooms for BMT with a team of trained nurses for round the clock care.
Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Radiation Oncology wing consists of a highly qualified and experienced team of Radiation Oncologists, Medical Physicists and Technologists, backed by a new generation, state-of-the-art equipment capable of delivering precise doses of radiation accurately to a tumour with minimum damage to normal tissues. The Department is one of the leading centres in the field of Brachytherapy in the country and is amongst very few offering this therapies for prostate cancer patients. It was the first centre in Karnataka to start intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), a special kind of treatment, which focuses radiation to the tumour area while pushing it away from the normal tissues, thus minimizing side effects. This Department also offers some unique therapies like fiducial marker based Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) and adaptive radiation Therapy (ART) mainly for prostate cancer patients. Very few centres in this
country currently offer these extremely accurate and targeted types of radiation therapy. The department presently is equipped with:
- Precise Digital Linear Accelerator: A state-of-the-art dual energy linear accelerator with IMRT capability. It is equipped with a Multi-Leaf Collimator(MLC) and an Electronic Portal Imaging Device (EPID), both of which ensure precision of treatment.
- Simulator (ACUITY) helps to localize a tumour precisely, thus facilitating accurate radiation therapy.
- CT Simulator: Dedicated CT simulator for radiotherapy planning.
- ADAC Pinnacle IMRT Planning System is the first one of its kind in the country. It uses a unique algorithm to plan IMRT treatment with great precision.
- Eclipse 3-Dimensional Treatment Planning System has the potential to plan complex radiation treatment more expeditiously and accurately than traditional systems.f)
- Gammamed Plus: A remote-controlled high dose rate (HDR) Brachytherapy system, which ensures that radiation treatments are delivered in a very short time with no radiation hazard to staff. The image-based 3-dimensional conformal Brachytherapy Planning System (Brachyvision) helps achieve maximum radiation